Monday, April 2, 2007

since I am a Theatre dork....

I wanted to make an extra comment on the topic of mixing or sampling. I recently took a class on modern American theatre, and we talked a little bit about some recent playwrights who have started using “sampling” as a way of writing a play. How this works in theatre is that the playwright combines little bits and pieces from several plays or from other sources, like song lyrics, poetry, or excerpts from novels to create the play. These plays also sometimes use other techniques like multimedia and projections. Another thing a playwright could do is mess around with things like location or the chronology of the play. I don't know what that might have to do with science fiction, although the plays end up being pretty abstract and weird... Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting connection to my other classes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.